Friday, November 16, 2007

Tell Us More

I want to hear more from those of you who had adventures, like setting the pond on fire and having firecrackers in a pocket. I was clueless and my parents didn't let me do anything. I would have to argue with them to be allowed to go to away basketball games, forget about Halloween. On Halloween I mostly got to take my 7-years-younger twin siblings out at 6 pm so they could go trick or treating. Except one year when I was actually allowed to go with Bonnie Naylor and Cherie Fusco who both lived near my house on Huntleigh Drive. I usually spent evenings on the phone with Suzie Smith and Steve Muench translating Latin so Miss Evans wouldn't be cruel to us. And talking to Lily Armstrong about the important things in life.

I want to hear more from those of you who haven't posted anything even if you didn't have adventures either. Are you still working? Where do you live?

Barbie Becker Cook, How are you? My mother is now at East Side Manor - she forgets a lot now, but she can still remember the past and we enjoy visiting together the few times a year I get to Manlius.

Patty Anderson Begg, Jerry and I will be in Honolulu again this spring. We still talk about the wonderful time we had with you and your husband on our last visit there. That was so generous of you both to spend so much time with us showing us your island paradise. I drove by the house on Clinton Street where we both lived (at different times) and it looks the same as it did after my father put the cedar shakes on it. Someone who owned it after us expanded the garage. Remember the rhubarb behind the garage?

Lily, I just remembered the bakery near Rutkoff's and the cream filled pastries. Yum! We went on a binge for a while and went there nearly every day.

OK, so, someone else, maybe you remember something to share too.

5 comments:

Chuck Gough said...

Hi again Sharon,
I assume that was a picture of your daughter in your response! We had four inches of snow yesterday, and the temp was 30 this morning, so I actually wore long pants to walk the dogs! About Halloween - you were better off at home. It seemed to be a time to do things, that we would never do the rest of the year - like the "burning bag of ? on someone's front porch" trick. I'll take Christmas anyday!
Chuck
p.s. - I don't remember Miss Evans being cruel....that was Mr. Wheeler's job!

Kerry said...

That was Schneider's Bakery. Andy Schneider used to run the place and as you said it was the best bakery ever in Fayetteville.

JonnyB said...

Sharon
- I recall being scared silly of Ms. Helen Evans, whom I was convinced new Jullius Caeser personally. Illegitimae non carborundum est!
- Irv Rutkoff's drug store was a great place for a vanilla coke. I remember John Rapp working there and him punching holes in a new box of (ahem!) birth control devices with a large pin. Honest!

Kerry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kerry said...

I remember big John would put holes in them in his spare time. I think a lot were stolen as they were in the back right next to the telephone.